Yes, OATLESS oatmeal!
Okay so obviously this isn’t actually oatmeal, but for the sake of tricking my brain into thinking it is, I’m calling it oatmeal, OKAY? Okay.
As a lover of all things oatmeal, doing Whole30 and not being allowed to eat it anymore is kind of a hard thing, not going to lie, but as I was doing a little searching around on Pinterest for some new Whole30 recipes I could try, I found oatless oatmeal! Now, this isn’t something I am always eating for breakfast, but every now and then when I get sick of my usual steamed broccoli and sweet potato breakfast, I’ll have this. It’s incredibly easy to make and has some delicious ingredients in it with some great sources of plant based protein for my vegan and vegetarian sisters and misters out there!
I adapted this recipe from the one I found on Pinterest and decided to add a few new ingredients, one of them being zucchini. Sounds odd, but I needed a way of balancing out this meal so that it wasn’t just apple and I also wanted the portion to be a little bigger. So, zucchini is perfect because 1. you really can’t even taste that it is in there and 2. if you aren’t a fan of zucchini, you don’t have to add it! As for the other ingredients, if you don’t have hemp seed hearts, chia seeds, or the flaked coconut, those are all sort of optional as well. I definitely wouldn’t leave out the sliced almonds, the cinnamon, the date, the almonds milk, and the almond butter because those are the best parts!
- 1 Apple
- 1 tbsp sliced almonds
- 1 tbsp unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp hemp seed hearts
- 1/2 medium zucchini (optional)
- Dash of cinnamon
- 1 date, chopped
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1/4 cup Whole30 compliant almond milk
- Fruit for toppings
- Chop date into relatively small pieces.
- Throw all ingredients, including chopped dates, into food processor and process until it's a grainy consistency. Don't process too mush because you want it to resemble oats and not turn into a mushy mess.
- Place all ingredients into a bowl, top with desired toppings, drizzle almond butter on top, and pour in almond milk. And you're done, simple as that!
- Enjoy! :)